How are you celebrating the July 4th Thursday this year? Are you taking the Friday off? Here are a few ideas if you are going to be in the Hudson Valley.
1) Saugerties has an old school 4th of July parade. Get here early! I went to this parade a few years ago. It doesn’t get more Americana than Saugerties. If your kids love vintage fire trucks, they are in for a treat. It starts at 11 am near the high school. The Sawyer Motors Annual car show in Saugerties will be a two-day affair this year on Saturday, July 6th & Sunday, July 7th at Cantine Field. There will be a hot-dog eating contest, sky divers, fireworks, and plenty of proud car owners!
2) The Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary will be having their Annual July Jamboree on Saturday, July 6th. You may have heard about their recent rescues Mike the cow, Archie the black pig, and Bennie the goat on the news. Visit them and see how they are thriving in their new Woodstock digs! There will also be plenty of yummy vegan food, live music by Uncle Rock, Tracy Bonham, and Seth Davis. I’ve been to this event a few times, and the kids always have a blast!
3) Spend the day at Belleayre Beach at Pine Hill Lake, which I just blogged about for the Chronogram’s Daily Dose.
4) Go to the public grand opening of Shmaltz Brewing Company’s new brewing home in Clifton Park, NY happening on Sunday, July 7, 2013! Wet your whistle with vintage, barrel-aged and rare Shmaltz libations. Visit their website for the complete list of craft brews.
5) Celebrate July 4th in Kingston’s beautiful Rondout starting at 5pm on Thursday with Mister Kicks and kids activities, the music of The Cagneys, and a patriotic celebration with fireworks starting at 8-m.
6) Check out First Fridays in Saugerties! Stop at Lighthouse Home & Entertaining Essentials for a free astrologic consultation, watermelon cocktails, and berry cake, the hottest fashions at DIG the Shop, shaved ice and decadent chocolates at Lucky Chocolates, and much more on the night of July 5th. You can wind down your Friday with a half-price burger on the terrace of Diamond Mills Hotel & Tavern, or an ice cold brew at Dutch Ale House.
7) For Yogis who want to focus on their chakras, check out the 7-Day Chakra Immersion series at Chichester Yoga, near Phoenicia. Attend all 7 days for $140 or just one of the 2-hour classes for $35. In Woodstock, The Yogic Chanting duo Prema Hara will be performing at Euphoria Yoga Studio in Woodstock the night of July 7th from 7-9pm. ($15)
Wishing everyone a safe and happy 4th of July week! If you are looking for a good list of parades and fireworks happening around the area, Rhinebeck Community Forum has a good one here.