Memorial Day Weekend is one week away! Thankfully it is finally starting to feeling like it’s almost summer time in the Hudson Valley. Here are 12 ideas to help you get your holiday weekend and unofficial Summer off to a good start.
1. Belleayre Beach in Pine Hill opens up May 28th for weekends only until June 17th. The beach will be open 7 days a week beginning June 14th. You can rent a paddle boat here too. The snack bar is pretty limited (just chips and ice cream pops) so if you are hungry, bring your lunch in a cooler.
2. Hunter Mountain’s Scenic Sky Ride will be opening on for the season on May 21st. $12 for ages 13 and up. $8 for kids 7-12. The ride takes 11 minutes each way, and operates weather permitting. Closed on May 30th.
3. Jump on a Jumping Pillow at Kelder’s Farm and pose with the World’s Second Largest Garden Gnome.
4. Do you love grilled meat, but don’t want to cook? Drive over to Hickory BBQ and Smokehouse on Route 28 in Kingston, which has been my go-to restaurant when I’m craving grilled chicken, hearty burgers, and pulled pork. My favorite special is their blackened tuna though. To boot, the owner looks like Ashton Kuschner.
5. The Trolley Museum of NY (Kingston Trolley Museum) will be open Saturday, Sunday, and Memorial Day from 12 noon – 5pm. Great family fun for young train buffs. Regular admission includes trolley ride and museum exhibits. ($6 for adults)
7. If you are in the Woodstock area, check out the 8th annual Bob Dylan’s birthday celebration to benefit Family of Woodstock Crisis Hotline at Bearsville Theater on Saturday, May 29th at 9pm.
8. Go to an old fashioned Memorial Day parade in Rhinebeck on May 30th, starting at 9:15 am.
9. Hang out with very very huggable rescued farm animals at the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary in High Falls. They are open on Saturday and Sunday from 11am-4pm.
10. Looking for really good restaurants to dine out during the holiday weekend or for date night? Check out my Date Night reviews in the “EAT” section for ideas. These are restaurants I would eat at every week if I could!
11. Rent a Harley at Woodstock Harley Davidson! (They are closed on Monday).